Monday, April 25, 2011

"Junk"

Trying to find something easy to make for dinner tonight, I stumbled upon this interesting titled recipe on Hillbilly Housewife website last week.

Junk Recipe


1 lb. hamburger meat (While at Wal-Mart today, I found 93/7 ground beef marked to $2.25)
16 slices of american cheese (or whatever you have on hand, feel free to mix it up with the cheese). (Paired with a .75 coupon at Giant Eagle, this was only .78)
6 med. potatoes (I used the McCain Potatoes I got on sale today at GE for $1.50 with my $1.00 off coupon.  These are frozen potatoes that you microwave to cook.  The ones I got were sliced)
Oil for frying (omitted)
Garlic Salt (I used seasoning salt)
Pepper
Directions:
1. Peel & wash potatoes. Cut up into french fries. (I omitted this step since mine were cooked in the microwave.)
2. Turn on oil for frying. Once oil is hot add potatoes, cook till done and drain on paper towel (or brown paper bag, do not add salt).
3. Place 1 lb hamburger meat in pan and season with garlic salt and pepper. Cook till done and drain.
4. In casserole pan cover bottom of pan with hamburger meat. Lay a layer of cheese on top of the meat. Place all cooked fries on top. Cover with remaining cheese. Bake on 350 for about 10 – 15 min. just till the cheese is melted. Enjoy!

Okay, of course my kids LOVED it.  My husband went back for seconds, too.  Amazing that the simplest little dinner is usually the favorite.  Pair with garlic rolls and cheesy broccoli and this was a successful dinner night.

No comments: